The Seasons are Changing!

The Seasons are Changing!
And the Holidays are swiftly approaching!!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall Weather Breads and Fall Food Cravings!!

The weather around here has been so cool and even wet!  We had a ton of rain yesterday, it was fabulous!!  But because of all the cold I've really felt like eating nothing but soups and bread.  Well I can't make soup (since I'm leaving for a visit to CA and don't want to shop for the ingredients I would need to make a delicious homemade one and I'm not really into canned soups) so I guess I'll settle for Chili.  My chili is a semi-homemade recipe it's incredibly easy and was passed down to me by my Delightful and ever so talented in the Kitchen Mother!!  And since I'm totally overwhelmed by all of the other tasks I've got on my to do list today, (clean the house, pack for CA, do laundry, do crossing guard- yes 5 times a day I visit the local cross walk!!- send out emails as room mom for Kindergarten, organize a fall carnival, make a slide show for the Miss Porterville Pageant, oh and love and nurture 4 darling children!!!) then easy is what I'm looking for!  Does anyone else ever feel like they are drowning slowly as more and more waves of to dos are crashing over them?  Okay sorry for the pitty party, (I told you I love parties...of all kinds) now back to the food.  Along with this fabulous Chili Recipe one must make the "Special Cornbread" passed down from my Aunt Marilynn who like me is a foodie and an avid cook book collector!  So I have provided here both recipes please if you try them let me know what you think!!  No one has left any comments and I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself!!  LOL!!!

Semi-Homemade Chili
1/2 Lb. Ground Beef (or diced chicken) browned and seasoned (with salt, pepper, garlic, and a pinch of Cayenne)
2 Cans Ranch Style Pinto Beans (be careful not to get jalapeno ranch style beans unless you like your chili hot!!)
1 Can diced seasoned Stewed Tomatoes

Dump in the pot heat and let simmer for 30-45 mins. on low to marry flavors

Special Cornbread
2 Cups Buttermilk Baking Mix (Bisquick)
6 Tbs. Cornmeal
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
1/2 cup butter melted

Combine baking mix, cornmeal and sugar in mixing bowl.  Add eggs and milk and stir until well blended.  Next mix in melted butter.  Then place in a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out dry. 

I know your family will love it as much as mine does!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds sooooo yummy! I'm gonna have to make a trip to the store to get the ingredients!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you make it! My family gobbled up the whole pot tonight!! I served it with a Ceasar salad and some homemade chocoat chip cookies!! YUM!! Perfect for a cold fall day:)

    ReplyDelete