The Seasons are Changing!

The Seasons are Changing!
And the Holidays are swiftly approaching!!

Friday, October 22, 2010

How Food Heals...

I know some people say that using food to heal emotional wounds is akin to an eating disorder and they may be right; but, I'll take the diagnoses of disorder if I can still find comfort in foods that remind me of happy times, seasons and their memories, and foods that help make me and those I love feel better during difficult times.  And that is what this post is about tonight. 

A sweet friend of our family lost his grandfather last night quite unexpectedly and though he has his family and friends to love him and help him through this time, he called my sister and asked her to make him a banana cake (that he has had at her house before) just to make him feel better.  I know it doesn't remove the pain or even dull one's senses like an alcoholic beverage but for some reason it comforts and soothes, albeit for a short time, the tormented heart.  After cake and lots of good visits with loved ones he was still sad but I believe, on his way up the hill in the battle against grief.  So in case you are ever having a hard day and are in need of a Banana cake here is a recipe for a yummy semi-homemade one that I put together.  (Who even knew there was such a thing as Banana Cake!)

Banana Cake
Ingredients:
1 White cake mix
1 tsp Cinnamon
3 crushed very ripe bananas

Directions:
Make cake mix according to box directions, mash up bananas and add them and Cinnamon to cake mix.  Bake in a 9x13 pan according to box directions. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting or Glaze

Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Cream cheese and butter then gradually add sugar and vanilla.  Spread on cooled cake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment